Is cash for appliances a real thing? Yes, it can be. I’ll share how we scored cash for an old refrigerator, plus how YOU can sell used appliances & old appliances for cash (and reclaim that space in your home/garage).
Have you ever thought that you could trade your old appliances for cash? Or wondered, “who buys used appliances near me?” and “how can I find free appliance removal near me”? I didn’t ever think we could get cash for appliances…until my husband and I purchased our first home and were left with an unpleasant surprise.
I'll share our own story about how we scored money for an old refrigerator, plus how you score money for your appliance (and even if you can't, there are other ways to get rid of your old appliance FAST).
- Is cash for appliances a real thing? Yes, it can be. I’ll share how we scored cash for an old refrigerator, plus how YOU can sell used appliances & old appliances for cash (and reclaim that space in your home/garage).
- Unpleasant Surprise as New Homeowners – An Old Refrigerator
- Getting Rid of Our Appliance for Extra Cash
- How to Get Cash for Your Old Appliances
- How to Get Free Appliance Removal Near Me
- One More Thing to Consider When You Sell Used Appliances
Unpleasant Surprise as New Homeowners – An Old Refrigerator
After moving in, Paul and I thought we had scored the jackpot: the previous owners left their kegerator in the garage for our enjoyment. It had been fashioned out of an old refrigerator, and even bore a painted stencil of the logo from Paul’s favorite football team (the Texans).
Unfortunately for us, it had not been used in such a long time that the product inside the keg was ruined, the tubing was moldy, and the refrigerator itself only worked when it was cranked up on the highest number (9).
In other words, we needed to get rid of our newly found treasure, and seeing how it was an energy-guzzler, we needed to do it as soon as possible.If you have old appliances you need to get rid of, there are several ways to do so and earn cash at the same time. @FrugalConfess Click To Tweet
Getting Rid of Our Appliance for Extra Cash
We did not have a truck at the time so I was very happy to find out that there was a company who was not only willing to come and pick the kegerator up from our home, but would also pay us $25 for doing so!
It was a win-win situation as the kegerator was no longer our headache, we earned $25, and this company could recycle the parts for a profit.
Since scoring this deal, I’ve looked into even more ways to get cash for appliances from we buy appliances places.
How to Get Cash for Your Old Appliances
If you have old appliances you need to get rid of and are looking for some extra cash (who isn't?), there are several ways to do so where you can earn money in the process like we did.
Read below to find out how you can extract value out of your old working or non-working appliances.
- Donate for a Tax Break: If the appliance is in a usable condition, you can donate it and take a tax deduction (if you itemize your taxes). Some places will pick the item up from you, while others you will need to drop it off. Also, don’t forget to ask for a donation receipt if you plan to take a tax deduction. Appliance donations are accepted at the Salvation Army, Habitat ReStores, Vincent de Paul, and the Goodwill.
- Sell the Appliance: Once again, if the appliance is still in a usable condition you can sell it on Craigslist or through a local pamphlet/ad for a small amount (depending on the condition and age). This option is good for those that do not have a way to transport the appliance as the person can come and pick it up as part of the transaction. Also call your local used appliance shops and see if they will purchase the appliance from you. You can also check out Shopify, where you can create an online store of things to sell.
- Sell the Parts: Repair shops may be looking for some of the parts in your appliance. Call around to repair shops and local appliance technicians to see if there is interest. You will probably have to bring the parts in for an appraisal.
- Scrap the Metal: If the appliance cannot be used or fixed, you can scrap it for the metal. Scrap metal is actually quite lucrative right now; the shop that we use has doubled their paying price from one year ago. Find out how to find cash for scrap metal near me.
- Recycle (Hassle-Free) for a Reward: If you’re in one of these 18 states, you can get a company to pick up your appliance to recycle, and then you will receive a reward. For example, in Texas, I’m able to get my old *qualifying* refrigerator or freezer picked up AND will receive a $50 check (that’s double what we received before!) for doing so by following instructions on the site. Check to see if there’s a provider in your state!
- Recycle for a State Rebate Boost: Below, we talk about how to get money for new appliances you’ll be buying. One thing to consider is that some state programs actually give you a bigger rebate on your new appliance purchase if you recycle the old appliance. Keep this in mind!
How to Get Free Appliance Removal Near Me
Sometimes, getting paid is not your top priority. You just need the appliances removed, as quickly as possible, and preferably you want this done for free.
I'm here to tell you that YES, you can get free appliance removal near where you live!
Some options for you include:
- Make a Donation: When I was looking to get free appliance removal near me, I found that some donation places will come and remove the appliance at no cost, while others will not. The Salvation Army will schedule a pick up for appliances such as a Washer, and their requirement is that it be disconnected (you can put in the specific appliance you're trying to get removed for free + your zip code and find out if they'll do it near you, and any requirements they have). With 4,400 locations around the U.S., I found that Vincent de Paul is another great option to get free appliance removal near me (and you!).
- Call Up Someone Who Scraps Metal: You can find these people by their flyers, asking around, or even calling a scrap yard near you. Since they earn money from your old appliances, they're more likely to remove them for you.
- Recycle the Appliance through Your New Appliance Purchase: Some companies have programs where if you purchase a new appliance with them, and they install it, they'll remove your old appliance for free. So be sure to ask if that's included in your next appliance purchase.
One More Thing to Consider When You Sell Used Appliances
While we’re on the subject, you’ll want to get any rebates, tax credits, insurance savings, and other savings you can on the new appliances you’re buying to replace the old appliances you’re selling. This will provide energy savings over the long-term for you, as well!
Here are some sources to check before going shopping:
- EnergyStar.Gov: This site lets you look up rebates for energy efficient products (the ones with the energy star label) by zip code or by product type (refrigerator, dryer, washer, insert appliance here.)
- Energy.Gov: This site gives you a way to search for appliance tax credits, rebates, and savings according to the state where you live. For my state, there are 7 pages of appliance rebates, tax credits, and savings!
- Go to the Manufacturer Website: Loyal to one particular appliance manufacturer? Big appliance manufacturers, such as PG&E and GE, list each of their current rebate offers right on their website.
- Call Your Utility Provider: Some utility companies run programs that give you an incentive (rebate) off new energy-conserving appliances. You’ll want to call ahead of time to find out before making your purchase decisions.
- Call Your Home Insurance Provider: When you upgrade major new appliances in your home, many home owner insurance companies will provide a discount. This happened to us when we upgraded our central A/C unit, and then again when we upgraded our water heater. It never hurts to ask for the discount!
Pro Tip: Send in for your rebates/tax credits/claims as soon as possible, because some of the programs only give these out until they run out of money. You want to make sure you get yours!