We all have those neighbors who stubbornly do not take down their Christmas lights through until the next Christmas season. Having colored bulbs or even white lights shining brightly on the outside of homes in the months after Christmas, throughout the summer, and when we are readying our pumpkins and gourds kind of deflates the holiday for me. But it turns out that there are many other uses for Christmas lights throughout the year (besides permanently lighting them outside of your home each night) that can add to the overall ambiance of an event or your house for very cheap.
Here are a few ideas to get you thinking about how to use lights throughout the year:
- Valentine’s Day: You could use a strand of red lights to decorate your dining room for a special Valentine’s Day meal with a loved one or with your family.
- St. Patrick’s Day: Green Christmas lights will look great for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration or dinner with your family.
- Garden Parties: Old fashioned Christmas light bulbs would look lovely in your backyard for a barbecue or garden party.
- Extra Hot Tub Lighting: If you have a hot tub in your backyard, consider adding white lights around the area for some great ambiance at night. This could be for a special occasion, or to use anytime of the year.
- Something Extra for Birthday Celebrations: Find out the birthday boy or girl’s favorite color and place a strand of lights around the room where you will be singing “Happy Birthday” to add beautiful warmth and make the occasion even more special.
- Spice Up a Date with Your Spouse: Even if you don’t have money to splurge on dinner and a movie, try having fondue night at home and lighting up your living room, bedroom, or any other area with a strand of beautiful lights. Boy won’t they be surprised!
Lighting the exterior of your house up with Christmas lights all year round? Not cool. Finding ways to add ambiance and increase the “special” feeling in special occasions? Very cool.
What are some of your own ideas for using lights throughout the year?