After Christmas sales can help save you big-bucks in the next year. Read to find out how it will save you in ways you might not have thought of before.
Next holiday season!
One of the ways that frugalites save money is by having the forethought to purchase products for future use at severe discounts now. And the holiday season is chocked full of deals! Or rather…the post-holiday season is full of deals.
There are two ways that you can take advantage of post-holiday deals. One way is to buy products to use for the next holiday season, and the other is to buy products that you can re-purpose for use throughout the next year.
Products to Use for Next Holiday Season
Stocking up on decorations and products for next holiday season at 75% off or higher is a no-brainer.
You can gauge how big your child will be next Halloween season, and snag a costume right now at a huge discount. What about a fancy pumpkin carving kit?
Decorations are a great choice as well; perhaps you want to deck your lawn out with white reindeer and enough lights to put Clark Griswold’s house to shame, but you don’t have the several hundred dollars to pay for it this year. Wait until after Christmas and take advantage of 75%-90% off!
Go ahead and stock up on festive napkins, bulbs, cornucopias, and spider webs.
Products to Use Throughout the Year
This is an even better way to take advantage of post-holiday sales. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Purchase candy (with non-specific candy wrappings) to stuff into stockings for Christmas time.
- Votive candles and small candles generally used for lighting pumpkins can be used throughout the year in candle sconces, fireplaces, etc.
- Pumpkins that you used for decoration (but did not carve) can be cooked, pureed, and frozen to use for recipes.
- Dry out gourds and use them for Thanksgiving centerpieces.
- Purchase Hershey’s Kisses to use in cookie recipes for Christmas and beyond, such as Peanut Blossoms (my favorite!).
- Before and after Thanksgiving you can find coupons and sales for many food items that can be used for the next year (or until they expire), such as canned pumpkin, cranberry sauce, turkeys (freeze), stuffing, etc.
- Paper products, such as paper plates and napkins, go on sale around this holiday and there are usually coupons that come out as well. Stock up now to use for birthday parties, barbecues, housewarmings, etc. Also, aluminum foil sales abound.
- Think baking supplies: stockpile butter (you can freeze), chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk/evaporated milk, sugar, flour, etc.
- Ham goes on sale before and after the holidays; purchase an extra one or two and put it in your freezer.
- After the Christmas season, purchase red wrapping paper and ribbons to use for Valentine’s Day or birthdays, and other neutral wrapping paper colors for events throughout the year.
- Parchment/wax paper
- Peppermint-flavored candy/hot chocolate, and Andes Mints (two of my favorites)
- New Year’s
- This is a great tip I got from Bridal Bargains: purchase champagne when it goes on sale before/after New Year’s Day and use it for special occasions throughout the year (particularly if you are getting married!)
- Birthday Gifts
- Shopping after Christmas is a super-easy way to save on birthday gifts throughout the year.
There are many, many ways you can use the items you purchase at 70%+ off to help you save BIG all next year long.