5 Frugal Activities for Springtime

by on March 13, 2013 · 19 comments

Both the warmth and my sinuses have alerted me to the fact that spring has returned. What a beautiful time of year! Since I grew up in PA, spring to me has always meant a break from the bleak winter, a tease of the warmth to come, and brilliant colors to gaze upon after several months of mind-numbing browns and grays. Oh yes, and it has also always meant a lot of sneezing as well.

I am feeling some Spring Fever, and know that the hot and humid Houston summer will be here in the blink of an eye. Here are some ways that I am taking advantage of this fresh and vibrant time of year.

1. Take a Yoga or Meditation Routine Outdoors: It might completely change your practice by changing locations to your backyard, in the middle of a park, on the beach, etc. You might even be able to find a group that offers this so that you won’t be alone. Here in Houston, Discovery Green offers free yoga outdoors on Saturdays at 9:00 a.m.
  2. Hunt for Four-Leaf Clovers: Four-leaf clovers are caused by a mutation on a normal, three-leaf clover plant. This mutation typically occurs once in every 10,000 clovers, which means this could either be the best activity to keep your kids busy ever, or a very discouraging one. There are some plants who imitate true clovers, but you can tell that you have found a legitimate four-leaf clover if the fourth leaf is smaller than the others. If you are lucky enough to find one, press it for keeping or make yourself a charm by drying it and placing it in a clear charm holder from a craft store. If you want to send the kids out to find their own, offer them a pot of gold at the end of their long journey by making a copycat version of McDonald’s Shamrock milkshake.
  3. Go for a Hike: Not only will this give you a great exercise session, but you can spot all of the beautiful new greenery and blooms. Nature will be unfolding before your very eyes!
  4. Take a Photo in a Field of Wildflowers: Bluebonnets are famous in Texas, and so is getting your picture taken in a field of them (check this website for sightings within a 60-mile radius of Houston, Texas). If you want to skip the possibility of snake bites and the potential hazards of parking on the side of a road, check out Mercer Arboretum which offers free admission and a spot to take photos. If you are not in Texas, use this U.S. Forest Service to find wildflower viewing in your own area.bluebonnets
  5. Pick Strawberries: Strawberry season has begun here in Houston. If you want to pick your own, check out Froberg’s Vegetable and Fruit Farm in Alvin, about 26 miles outside of Houston. Paul and I picked our own last week and made Strawberry Shortcake with our sweet finds. Use this resource to find pick-your-own farms in your area.

Spring Cartoon

Cartoon courtesy of Cartoon Resource.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Brick By Brick Investing | Marvin

My wife and I tried the P90X Yoga series and after about 5 minutes looked at each other and decided we better start at a beginner level. It would be nice to try a beginners class outdoors =)
Brick By Brick Investing | Marvin recently posted..Building Wealth: Wounded Warrior Project

Jon @ MoneySmartGuides

Brian, the P90X yoga disc is very hard. In the new version of P90X, the yoga disc is much better – even newcomers can handle it without as much effort. That’s not to say it’s easy, but it is much better than the original.
Jon @ MoneySmartGuides recently posted..Announcing My eBook Giveaway

Amanda L Grossman

I have never actually tried P90X, but have read about others who do it. Good luck with everything! Paul and I have been hitting the gym these last two weeks; he’s training for the Tough Mudder this fall and I am just trying to maintain good health.
Amanda L Grossman recently posted..Stalked by an Internet Ad: How to Opt-Out of Some Behavioral Targeting

Tony@WeOnlyDoThisOnce

Great ideas! Looking forward to a bit warmer weather. Thanks for the post.

Amanda L Grossman

Thanks Tony!
Amanda L Grossman recently posted..It Pays to Have Your Small Claims Case on a Court Television Show

Tanya

Great ideas, Taking a hike is always fun! My son loves it. We better do it now while its still coolish out before it get too hot to even go to the park.(I live in Arizona)
Tanya recently posted..Making a Fresh Start in the New Year

Jeff

Never thought of picking strawberries. They have many you-pick farms around here I have always thought of trying.

The weather is great now, tons of great things to do outdoors. Lots of mountain biking and hiking for me.

Enjoy the spring!
Jeff recently posted..Launch Post

Amanda L Grossman

I love a good hike! What part of the country are you in? Enjoy this great weather.
Amanda L Grossman recently posted..5 Frugal Activities for Springtime

Joe

I’m starting to do yoga again and it’s really great. I’m only going about once a week or so for now. I’ll try to take more pictures too.
Joe recently posted..How To Invest A Lump Sum

Amanda L Grossman

Nice Joe! I’m sure you can use the break from the little guy;).
Amanda L Grossman recently posted..What Extreme Couponers Know about Coupons that You May Not

The Norwegian Girl

I can`t wait for spring to get here! So tired of winter!
I would love to go strawberry picking, have to check out if they have something like it in Norway.
The Norwegian Girl recently posted..The Great Norwegian Adventure

Mae H.

I hadn’t thought about hunting for four-leaf clovers in years.
Wow that took me back,
Sounds like a cute date activity :P

I’m a little too self conscious of the weird faces I make during yoga to do it in public x_x
I went camping last weekend and had a blast, canoeing, rope swinging, hiking, it was a great time. I hope others get that opportunity.

KC @ genxfinance

These are really nice and refreshing activities. A break from our hectic schedule because we all need a breath of fresh air sometimes.
KC @ genxfinance recently posted..How to Make Money With an Online Tutoring Job

FruGal

Thanks KC! You are right about needing that fresh air…and fortunately, it doesn’t have to cost much:).